For this month’s Virtual Worlds Expeditions (VWEx) we are going to meet on 09/09/09 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time (check local time) at one of our very own sims; Learning. Learning is our continually expanding full sim resource center for open-source educational content with a tremendous amount of the basic content that an educator might need to get started in Second Life as well as some extremely useful tools. While the NMC has several resource centers on campus devoted to free items to outfit the avatar and teaching tools, Learning is a full sim of learning spaces, orientation kits, major buildings, classroom, and much more. Take a look at our initial blog post to get a sneak peek at just how many items are here. If you have visited Learning before, you’ll be glad to know that there are a few new tools available for you: such as a Help Desk system and our newly improved Media Screen, which is one of the easiest to use open source screens you will ever find in Second Life.
Another highlight on the tour will be the Virtual Learning Prize tools. In May 2008, NMC launched the Virtual Learning Prize program, which was a $100,000 competitive program of awards intended to create a collection of innovative open-source learning experiences that make use of the unique attributes of a virtual learning environment. The results of this program are available on Learning and offer a range of educational possibilities; from the Narrative Maze submitted by Natasha Boskic at UBC to the Network Sorting kit submitted by Dr. Tim Bell of Canterbury University and much more. (See more about the Virtual Learning Prize program)
Please meet us on Learning on September 9th at 10:00 AM Pacific Time (check local time) at the following URL:
Join us for a chance to pick up more freebies than your inventory can handle, as well as to join in on the discussion of open-source educational content in Second Life. Bring your landmarks to your favorite areas to retrieve open source content, as well as any of your own open source creations you would like to share!
Also, please keep in mind the following helpful tips:
- You’ll need a Second Life avatar account to join us. If you do not have one already, please feel free to use our customized registration portal at http://sl.nmc.org/join/. Once you register, you’ll log in at our NMC Orientation sim which will have lots of information to get you started.
- Make sure that you have voice chat enabled and are able to hear before the event starts. Voice will be the preferred method for our speakers, though you are more than welcome to discuss and ask questions directly in the chat channel. If you are new to SL voice, please see these handy guides to get you started.
- Be an early bird! The expedition “sets sail” promptly at 10:00 AM Pacific Time (check local time) and we’d hate to have anyone miss the boat due to avoidable technical issues.
- Share your photos! If you are planning to take pictures, tag them in flickr with “VWEx” so that we can all find them easily!
- It is a shame to end the discussion simply because time runs out! Please feel free to continue sharing, learning, and teaching via the comments on this blog entry and the follow-up summary, in case you miss the session.